Which characteristics of the archaeal cells have enabled them to survive under most harsh conditions inhospitable to life?
These characteristics are:
(1) Ether linkages in their membrane lipids.
(2) Diverse types of non-peptidoglycan cell wall.
(3) Archaeal histone-like proteins which provide stability to archaeal chromosomes.
(4) Introns within the archaeal protein and archaeal splicing mechanism.
(5) The proteins which are relatively resistant to denaturation due to the presence of amino acid sequences and hydrophobic regions.