1. What is the role of the enzyme amylase in digestion?
a) Protein breakdown
b) Fat digestion
c) Starch digestion
d) Nucleic acid digestion
2. Which part of the brain is responsible for regulating basic life functions such as breathing and heart rate?
b) Medulla oblongata
3. Which process involves the conversion of light energy into chemical energy in plants?
4. Which hormone is responsible for promoting water reabsorption in the kidneys?
5. Which blood vessel carries deoxygenated blood from the body to the heart?
a) Pulmonary artery
b) Pulmonary vein
d) Vena cava
6. Which of the following is a function of the liver?
a) Producing insulin
b) Storing bile
c) Producing red blood cells
d) Filtering blood
7. What is the main function of white blood cells in the immune system?
a) Carrying oxygen
b) Clotting blood
c) Fighting infections
d) Producing antibodies
8. In which phase of meiosis do homologous chromosomes separate?
a) Prophase I
b) Metaphase I
c) Anaphase I
d) Telophase I
9. Which of the following is a sexually transmitted infection caused by a bacterium?
d) Hepatitis B
10. Which structure is responsible for gas exchange in the respiratory system?
11. What is the purpose of the endocrine system in the body?
a) Transporting nutrients
b) Providing structural support
c) Regulating hormones
d) Pumping blood
12. Which organelle is responsible for packaging and sorting proteins in the cell?
c) Golgi apparatus
d) Endoplasmic reticulum
13. Which of the following is a type of muscle tissue found in the heart?
a) Skeletal muscle
b) Smooth muscle
c) Cardiac muscle
d) Connective tissue
14. What is the function of the pancreas in the digestive system?
a) Producing bile
b) Producing enzymes for digestion
c) Storing glucose
d) Absorbing nutrients
15. Which hormone is responsible for regulating calcium levels in the blood?
c) Parathyroid hormone
d) Growth hormone
16. What is the name of the process by which cells specialize and develop specific functions?
17. Which of the following is a renewable source of energy?
b) Natural gas
c) Solar power
d) Nuclear power
18. What is the role of DNA polymerase in DNA replication?
a) Unwinding the DNA double helix
b) Adding nucleotides to the growing DNA strand
c) Breaking down the DNA molecule
d) Repairing damaged DNA
19. Which of the following is a genetic disorder caused by an extra copy of chromosome 21?
b) Down syndrome
c) Turner syndrome
d) Cystic fibrosis
20. What is the purpose of a control group in a scientific experiment?
a) To receive the experimental treatment
b) To provide a baseline for comparison
c) To ensure statistical significance
d) To increase the sample size
21. Which part of the plant is responsible for photosynthesis?
22. Which process involves the movement of water through a semi-permeable membrane from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration?
b) Active transport
23. What is the function of the cornea in the eye?
a) Changing the shape of the lens
b) Detecting light intensity
c) Focusing light onto the retina
d) Producing tears
24. Which of the following is responsible for transmitting signals between nerve cells?
25. What is the purpose of mitosis in the cell cycle?
a) Producing gametes
b) Growth and tissue repair
c) Creating genetic diversity
d) Exchanging genetic material
26. Which of the following is an example of a plant hormone that promotes cell elongation and growth?
27. What is the function of the Eustachian tube in the ear?
a) Transmitting sound waves to the brain
b) Balancing pressure between the middle ear and the outside environment
c) Amplifying sound vibrations
d) Producing earwax
28. Which of the following is a nitrogenous waste product excreted by the kidneys?
29. What is the process by which plants release water vapor into the atmosphere?
30. Which of the following is a type of genetic mutation where a single nucleotide is replaced with another?
1. c) Starch digestion
2. b) Medulla oblongata
3. a) Photosynthesis
4. c) Aldosterone
5. a) Pulmonary artery
6. b) Storing bile
7. c) Fighting infections
8. c) Anaphase I
9. b) Gonorrhea
10. b) Alveoli
11. c) Regulating hormones
12. c) Golgi apparatus
13. c) Cardiac muscle
14. b) Producing enzymes for digestion
15. c) Parathyroid hormone
16. b) Differentiation
17. c) Solar power
18. b) Adding nucleotides to the growing DNA strand
19. b) Down syndrome
20. b) To provide a baseline for comparison
21. b) Leaves
22. a) Osmosis
23. c) Focusing light onto the retina
24. b) Axons
25. b) Growth and tissue repair
26. c) Auxin
27. b) Balancing pressure between the middle ear and the outside environment
28. a) Urea
29. b) Transpiration
30. c) Substitution