Skip to content
- Morphine has spasmogenic action on the smooth muscles of G.LT.
- It causes constriction of the sphincters and a decreases in the peristaltic movements of G.I.T.
- This action of morphine results in stagnation of intestinal contents causing maximum absorption of water and drying of fecal matter.
- Morphine reduces the sensitivity of intestinal walls to defecation reflexes.
- The above actions of morphine cause constipation.
- Tincture of opium contains morphine which possesses the constipating action.
- Hence, it is used in diarrhea.