ARTHRITIS- WHAT IT IS?
- Arthritis is an inflammation of the joints. Can it affect single joint or multiple joints?
- There are numerous types of arthritis, with different causes and treatment process. Two of the most common types are:-
- Osteoarthritis (OA)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA).
TYPES OF ARTHRITIS INCLUDE
- Osteoarthritis is a common type of arthritis. It’s mainly related to ageing or with some injury.
- Autoimmune arthritis happens when our body’s immune system attacks healthy cells in our body by mistake. forex- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Juvenile arthritis is a kind of arthritis that happens in children.
- Infectious arthritis is an infection that has spread from one part to another part of the body to the joint.
- Psoriatic arthritis affects people with psoriasis, Gout It often starts in the big toe.
- Symptoms of Osteoarthritis very painful type of arthritis that happens when too much uric acid builds up in the body.
SYMPTOMS OF OSTEOARTHRITIS MAY INCLUDE:
- The symptoms of arthritis ie. majorly the inflammation of joints usually develop with time, but they may also appear suddenly.
- Arthritis is most commonly seen in adults after the age of 65, but it can also develop in children, teens, and younger adults.
- Arthritis is more common in women than men and in people who are overweight( obese)
- Joint pain
- Arthritis may lead to elevate blood pressure.
- Stiffness at morning time or after you’ve been sitting for a while
- Tenderness — the area is sore when you touch it
- Lack of movement — the joint restrict complete its motion..
- Grating — you might feel things rubbing together inside the joint
- Bone spurs — lumps and bumps of bone from around the joint.
ARTHRITIS TREATMENT: OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
- Protecting your joints is an important part of arthritis treatment.
- With the help of an occupational therapist, you can learn easier ways to do your normal activities.
- An occupational therapist can teach you how to: Avoid positions that strain your joints
- Use your strongest joints and muscles while sparing a weaker one.
- Provide braces or supports to protect certain joints.
- Use grab bars in the bath.
- Use modified doorknobs, canes, or walkers.
- Use devises to help you with tasks such as opening jars or pulling up socks and zippers
ARTHRITIS TREATMENT: MEDICINE
- Arthritis treatment is dependent upon the nature and seriousness of the underlying problems.
- The main aim is to reduce inflammation and improve the proper function of affected joints before it Became serious problems occur.
- To reduce pain and inflammation of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis,
- the doctor will probably prescribe acetaminophen or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), such as Aleve.
- The doctor may recommend corticosteroid joint injections to ease the pain and stiffness of affected joints.
- Depending on the individual, results range from temporary relief to long-lasting suppression of symptoms.
- The doctor may also inject a hyaluronic acid solution into your joints.
- Hyaluronic acid mimics normal joint fluid and can reduce pain and increase mobility. Some examples are Hyalgan, Orthovisc, and Synvisc.